If you would like to enter the United States in order to work, start a business, or stay with your fiancé/fiancée, the first thing you’ll need is a visa, in most cases. Tourists from some countries may visit the U.S. without a visa, but usually for only three months. A visa allows you to apply for entry to the U.S. There are many different kinds of visas, and each has its own purpose.

Some people believe they can manage the paperwork for a visa on their own. Please don’t make this mistake! Even a small error on this paperwork can cause your visa to be delayed or even denied. Contact the attorneys at TNT Law today.

TNT Law. Opening the Door for You


Types of Visas

Nonimmigrant Visas:

Most immigrants cannot file for a green card through these visas.

H1-B Visa: This is a temporary work visa for immigrants with professional skills and degrees, who will work in a special occupation.

H-2: This is a temporary work visa for immigrants who are working in areas that have seasonal spikes in labor demand, like agriculture.

E-1: This visa, known as the Treaty Trader, is given to foreigners who participate in international trade. At least 50% of the exports/imports must be to or from the US, and the applicant must also be from a country that qualifies.

E-2: This visa, known as the Treaty Investor, is given to a foreigner who makes a significant investment in the United States. There is no minimum investment, but the more the better. Like the E-1 above, there are a limited number of countries that qualify for this visa.

E-3: This visa is solely for citizens of Australia, and is valid in two-year increments. The Australian citizen can renew the visa, every two years, indefinitely.

E-4: This visa is given to religious workers, some long-term employees of the US government, citizens of Iraq or Afghanistan who have worked as translators for the US armed forces for at least one year, some physicians, juvenile dependents of a court who are eligible for foster care, and others.

EB-5: This visa is known as the Millionaire’s Visa, and is given to those foreigners who invest either half a million or a million dollars in the United States.

I: A temporary visa for a journalists and media.

O-1A: A temporary visa for someone with “extraordinary ability” in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, which is shown through sustained national or international acclaim.

O-1B: A temporary visa for someone with extraordinary abilities performing in either TV or movies.

P: A temporary visa for internationally recognized athletes, artists, or entertainers.

L-1: A temporary visa for managers of a foreign company that opens up a branch in the US.

R: Religious workers visa. This visa allows for a green card after two years of continuous R status.


Visitor Visas:

B-1: Given to an immigrant who is coming to the U.S. for a business trip.

B-2: The Tourist Visa.


Student Visas:

F-1: For full-time students.

M: For students at a vocational school, like a beauty school.

J: Someone who is coming to the U.S. for education as part of a cultural exchange program. With this visa, you may have to return to your country of origin for at least two years, unless you can get a waiver.

Visa Waiver Program: If you live in certain countries, you can come to the U.S. for up to 90 days for business or tourism, but you cannot adjust your status while in the U.S. There are a number of exceptions, and an experienced immigration attorney can help you decide if you are eligible to adjust to another status.


Diplomatic and International Organization Visas:

A-1: This visa is given to foreign officers of a permanent diplomatic mission or consular post.

A-2: This visa is given to foreign accredited officials who are not working in the diplomatic category.

G-1: Given to a representative of a recognized government to a designated international organization (like the United Nations).

G-2: Given to a representative of a recognized government coming temporarily to a meeting at a designated international organization (like the United Nations).

G-3: Given to representatives of non-recognized countries or non-member governments who are traveling to a designated international organization (like the United Nations).

G-4: This Visa is given to those are going to the international organization (like the United Nations) to take up an appointment at the organization.

NATO Visa: Given to those seeking admission to the United States under the NATO treaty.

C-1: Known as the Transit Visa, this visa is given to those foreigners who are stopping inside the United States, on their way to another country.


Family-Based Visas:

K-1: Given to the fiancé or fiancée of an American citizen, when the couple intends to marry within 90 days of the immigrant entering the U.S.

K-3: A non-immigrant visa given to the spouse of a US Citizen.

V: This visa is given to the spouses and children of a Green Card holder.


Immigration Relief Visas:

U: Given to someone who has suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as the result of a crime, and is helping law enforcement with the investigation and prosecution of a crime.

S: Given to people who help U.S. law enforcement investigate crimes or terrorism.

T: Given to the victims of slave trafficking and trafficking for a sexual purpose. The spouse, child, or parent can attach to this claim.

Temporary Protected Status (TPS): Given to those from a country in which a natural disaster has occurred (like Haiti).

Cubans: Those who come to the U.S. from Cuba are eligible for special consideration under the Cuban Refugee Act.